Friday, July 28, 2017

Summer Sewing

What a great summer so far! Excellent weather with lots of morning walks along the Port Hawkesbury waterfront, and early evening walks along the newly improved Port Hawkesbury walking trails. In between all that, thee has been lots of time for sewing, visits to family, and preparations for DS's wedding in late August. Life is great!

My sewing room continues to entice me with a combination of UFO's and brand new projects. Kim Diehl's Saltbox Sampler was started years ago with my friend, Santa Mary, but put away when we weren't able to get together due to her work commitments. I decided to pull it out recently and finish mine.



The quilt will finish at about 42" x 42" so it's one  I should be able to quilt myself. Kim's version was machine quilted in a variety of ways, and I think I should be able to follow along fairly well with changes as needed.  Saltbox Sampler is in Kim's book, Simple Charm. 



I then resurrected some coffee-themed panels I had bought years ago. One panel was cut apart, then sewed back together (what was I thinking?) and another panel was cut apart for placemats.  


This little quilt should be perfect as a kitchen quilt or couch quilt!  



I did some edge to edge meandering which results in a lot of texture.



Although my quilting seems to be improving, I don't mind a backing that hides a few things!



The placemats were a lot of fun to make...so easy to quilt because of their size and finished up in no time. I had found some that coffee bean fabric somewhere in my travels and it was just the thing to bind them with!



I actually used my Janome "My Excel"...my very old, little workhorse, to do the FMQ and it worked like a charm on these placemats.



Of course, every week I get three new blocks to make as part of the Canadian Women 150 quilt designed by Kat Tucker of Next Step Quilt Design. I am feeling soooo accomplished as I am still up to date after starting this last November!  



As for today, I am working on making sailboats! Living on Cape Breton Island and walking the waterfront every morning has inspired me to make boats! I purchased the pdf pattern for Smooth Sailing online at Gigi's Thimble HERE. Amber has written an excellent easy pattern which is coming together very quickly! Here are a few of the 16 boats being assembled. 



What drew me to this pattern was the way Amber strip pieced the sails...a great way to use a Happy Go Lucky FQ bundle by Bonnie and Camille that I had bought a few years back, with a little stash additions! 

It's a great day for quilting!

13 comments:

  1. How wonderful to get those works in progress turned into finishes! That is something that always makes me feel great. But I try not to have too many of those as it's so easy to keep setting them aside. I'm really loving your little sailboats! Those strip pieced sails have caught my attention too. I would think these blocks would be fun as each boat gets to be different. Lots of summer sewing fun you're having I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely summer projects! I am amazed that you have kept up with the 150 project... I'm way behind and keep getting distracted with other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, it's been a fun summer so far. Lots more sunshine and sewing in the forecast. Your projects are wonderful. I love the Saltbox Sampler quilt, as quilts with houses always catch my eye. Kudos on keeping up with your Canadian Women 150 blocks! I'm not a very good keeper upper, so I don't even try anymore. Now let's talk about your coffee fabric projects.....so, so pretty. These I've seen in person while you were working on them, and the fabric is so rich in color. Sweet sailboats, Lesley! I look forward to seeing the completed quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it has been a productive as well as fun summer so far. I love those little sailboats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been one busy person! So glad you are having a great summer. Love your quilts and blocks - that sailboat pattern speaks to me. I think I need to look into this - I'm sure I could make it a bit shorter for a child's quilt. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear your summer is going so well. You are managing to fit some good sewing sessions in! Well done on your ufo finishes - the SaltBox quilt is lovely and your sailboats are extra cute - I think sails like that are a great way for extra interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of beautiful pieces. Loving the boats and Congrats for staying up to date on the 150 quilt. I'm way behind...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many beautiful projects to work on! My FMQ is very sketchy right now, but I still give it a go once in a while. Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of lovely projects to keep you busy. The sail boats are great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is wonderful, but those boats are adorable! Perfect for a baby boy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always find time to do some much with your stitching and great to see some UFOs being worked on.
    I think the sailboats are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects, and your FMQ is getting quite good. I am partial to your coffee throw though. But the sailboats are great too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!